Cell refers to the small, fundamental unit of life. Its primary purpose is to conduct the life process properly. But do we know what are stem cells? SC are those cells that can transform into other types of cells in our body. The doctor says that SC is mainly raw materials. Because of these stem cells, other cells can generate. To function the body properly, these stem cells even divide to form more cells. SC even works as a repair system for the body. So, when we ask what are stem cells, this is the necessary information.
There are many types of SC in our body. But the most common are embryonic SC and adult SC. Stem cells have much importance which makes them stand out from the rest. Like they renew themselves as new cells. These SC may not function in a specific way. But they have much importance for the wellbeing of our health. Besides, they even become specialized cells like muscle cells, blood cells, and brain cells. We will know more about what are SC from this article.
Definition Of What Are Stem Cells
We all know cells make our body and have definite purposes for our body. On the other hand, SC doesn’t have any specific function, but they can transform into other cells. This is the specialty of the stem cell. Still, you may be wondering what are stem cells exactly? Scare cells which have the unique ability to develop into other cells in the body. Different cells have specific functions like white blood cells try to protect us against various diseases. They work to fight against all kinds of health hazards.
On the contrary, SC do not function that way. Instead, they try to help new cells for the body as it grows. They even work to replace the damaged cells of the body. This is possible because they can divide over and over. In this way, they can make new cells. By being divided in this way, they can transform into different types of cells. They have a high demand in the medical sector. As they can fix any kind of damage issues.
For this reason, doctors tend to use SC in health and medical-related purposes. Even the uses of SC are increasing day by day. In the near future doctors will use SC to cure severe diseases like paralysis or any Alzheimer’s disease.
Most Common Types Of Stem Cells
There are various types of SC. But the most common are two types. They are mostly Embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells.
Embryonic SC -Generally doctor uses these SC mainly for research. They come from unused embryos. Researchers have found that the results come from the Vitro fertilization procedure. People even donate these cells. These cells are called pluripotent. It means that these types of cells can transform into more than one type of cell. We can find these embryonic stem cells in the inner cell mass. Doctors sometimes call them totipotent cells as they can develop into different cells. It means SC can become blood cells, skin cells, and other types of cells.
Adult SC -Adult cells are more specialized than embryonic cells in many ways. There are mainly two types of cells. The first one we get from fully developed tissues such as the brain, skin, and bone marrow. But there are tiny numbers of SC in these tissues. Besides they tend to generate only certain types of cells.
If the cell comes from the brain it will only be able to make more brain cells. The second one is pluripotent adult SC. These types of cells have been changed in a lab to be more embryonic SC. Adult SC can divide, and self regenerate indefinitely. It means these cells can generate various types of cells from the originating organ. For this reason, a skin wound may heal, or the other organ can repair their damage.
Other Types Of Cells
There are other types of stem cells. They have different kinds of functions for our body. They are mesenchymal SC and induced pluripotent SC.
Mesenchymal stem cells -Doctors call them as MSC cells. They basically generate from connective tissue or stroma. Men to surround the body” s organs and other tissues. They have been severely used to create new body tissues like bone, cartilage and fat cells. Soon, they may play a significant role in saving health problems.
Induced Pluripotent SC -Scientists tend to create these cells in labs mostly. They use skin cells and other tissue-specific cells. These SC and embryonic cells function similarly. Hence, they can be beneficial for therapy. Besides, researchers use these stem cells for various purposes. Even they tend to stimulate the SC to specialize in a particular way.
On the other hand, researchers categorized SC according to their function. These SC are –
Totipotent-These SC can differentiate into other types of cell types.
Pluripotent -These cells can turn into any cell. The early embryo is pluripotent.
Multipotent-These can transform into a closely related family of cells. Adult hematopoietic SC can become red and white blood cells or platelets.
Unipotent-These tend to produce only one type of cell, and it is their type. As they tend to renew themselves, they are still called stem cells.
What are stem cells’ importance?
SC have high demand as they can generate new cells—That’s why they have much importance in every medical treatment sector.
- SC can transform into bones, heart muscle, nerves and other organ and tissues. In this way, researchers can know how diseases occur. They may find out the reason for using stem cells.
- When people ask what are stem cells and what’s the importance of these SC. Well, SC tend to generate healthy cells to replace diseased cells. Even doctors can use these SC to replace the damaged tissues in people. These damaged tissues tend to develop in people because of various diseases like cancer, tumor etc.
- What are SC and their importance are most frequently asked. SC have much significance in therapies. Spinal cord injury, type 1 diabetes, Parkinson’ ‘s diseases, Alzheimer’s conditions are very severe diseases. But doctors can use stem cell therapy to cure these diseases.
- SC can grow into new tissues. Doctors can use them for transplant and regenerative medicine.
- Researchers can use these stem cells to test any drug in people. In this way, people can know if a specific type of medication is beneficial for them or not.
What Are Stem Cells In Medical Treatment?
- Doctors have confirmed that they can use SC in cardiovascular disease. Researchers were successful in creating blood vessels in laboratory mice using SC. After implanting those stem cells, a network of blood vessels had developed. Those turned out precisely as natural ones. So, this will help people with cardiovascular and vascular diseases.
- When you get to know about what stem cells are and their importance. You know this can be beneficial for people with brain diseases. In near future doctors may be able to use SC to treat brain diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.In Parkinson’s disease, we see uncontrolled movements. By using these SC, we can replace those damaged cells. In this way, the specialized brain cells can stop the uncontrolled movements. Researchers are trying their best to improve their research regarding these stem cells usage.
- We can even use SC for blood disease treatment. Doctor use adult hematopoietic SC to treat leukaemia, sickle cell anaemia and other immunodeficiency problems. These hematopoietic SC occur in blood and bone marrow. They can generate all types of blood cells. Like red blood cells, white blood cells etc.
So, when we question what stem cells are for, we get to see these usages in treatment are.
Therapy Using SC
- Doctors may even use SC in therapy. Day by day, the uses of SC in treatment are increasing. Mainly doctors name this usage of SC as cell deficiency therapy. Scientists have said that they will be able to make heart cells in laboratories. Then they will transplant these stem cells into people with heart diseases. These SC will be healthy tissues.
- The type 1 diabetic patient can get pancreatic cells to replace the insulin-producing cells. Because the immune system tends to get destroyed because of this damaged cell. But transplanting SC can be beneficial.
- The most common current therapy is a pancreatic transplant. But only a few are available.
What Are SC Research Challenges?
Stem cells have high demand as they can develop new cells and repair damaged tissues. But doctors and researchers should do more study about SC. Otherwise, various complications can occur.
- The scientist must first learn more about how these embryonic stem cells can develop. Then they will understand how they can control the types of cell that come from them. Sometimes the body is unable to form these embryonic cells. It means the body tends to reject those embryonic cells. On the other hand, they show reluctance to use SC from SC because of moral facts.
- Scientists even face challenges while using adult pluripotent cells. These cells tend to have complications while growing in a lab. So, researchers are trying to sort this matter out. So, they are trying their best to improve the situation. We can get even these cells in a minimal amount in our body. But scientists suspect that they have severe chances that these cells can contain DNA problems.
- What are SC and their challenges are frequently asked the question now and then? We all know that doctors are using stem cell therapy to treat patients. But to take treatment in that way may create problems afterwards. The complications can occur in case only if you do not correctly handle the right therapy.
After getting to know about research challenges
Donation Facts About Stem Cells
Nowadays, people can help their loves ones by donating SC. This fact has many possibilities shortly. From various sources, we can get this donation.
- Bone marrow cells are generally taken under a general anaesthetic. Doctors take these SC typically from the hip or pelvic bone. Technicians later isolate the stem cells from the bone marrow for storage or donation.
- A person receives several injections during a bone marrow transplant. During that time bone marrow tends to release SC into the blood. Later, the doctors remove the blood from the body. A machine separates the SC. Then doctors return the blood to the body.
- Doctors can even harvest SC from the umbilical cord after the delivery. The baby will be out of any harm. Some people tend to donate the cord blood, and others tend to store it. But the whole process is costly. So, in the upcoming future, if SC becomes very accessible, this will be much less costly.
Last Few Words About Stem Cells
We got to know what are stem cells and all the other facts regarding this. We got to see that they have the ability to transform themselves into new cells. Can use of these SC by replacing damaged tissues. In this way, we can cure various diseases. Scientists and doctors are showing much interest in SC. Day by day, the promising ability of SC are increasing. Researchers are still trying their best on how to use these SC in the best way.
On the other hand, stems cells are highly used for medical purposes. They literally can help in various sectors like health and health-related research. Doctors are even planning to use stem cells, repaired tissues for many diseases. So, the importance of SC is beyond description.